Payroll Specialist or Manager (Karina)
This role will be the business process owner for payroll, handling both the day-to-day processing as well as contributing ideas about systems/process improvements. CPP is mandatory. Paycom experience is a huge advantage, but not required. The company has 550 employees paid weekly, and have made several recent acquisitions (more to come). 80% are plant/production non-exempt employees. They operate in a multi-state non-union environment. This is a replacement for someone who took another role (he was more benefits focused and wasn’t interested in payroll as a career).
The Payroll Specialist or Manager processes the organization's payroll and compiles payroll data to maintain accurate payroll records. Processes employee status changes, processes and analyzes payroll and employee expenses, reconciles general ledger accounts, creates on-going month-end, quarterly, and year-end organization reports, and performs other rated duties as assigned. The Payroll Specialist or Manager audits payroll information for accuracy and reconciles payroll deposits, tax withholdings, wage garnishments, and voluntary deductions. This position also participates in problem solving and special projects within the Finance Department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and submit payroll. Ensure all employees are paid on time (live check or direct deposit).
- Screen time-worked inputs for calculating, coding, or other errors.
- Calculate and process Federal & State tax and social security withholdings along with other deductions including insurance, benefits, 401(k) contributions and company match.
- Review and process payroll adjustments, including vacation, sick and other time off.
- Collect banking information for direct deposit setup and initiate deposits on paydays.
- Maintain knowledge of rules and laws which govern payroll administration practices including taxation, benefits, state & federal regulations, etc.
- Ensure that payroll-related transactions are processed in compliance with external and internal policies.
- Perform actions necessary to track and determine regular and overtime pay, and factors commission-based income or bonuses into an employee's salary.
- Process and monitor garnishment orders and other issues that impact payroll specifications.
- Generate accrual entries, as needed.
- Reconcile errors and maintain/document all payroll records.
- Conduct semi-annual audits of all payroll records.
- Reconcile general ledger regarding payroll transactions.
- Detect and process issues related to uncollected payroll.
- Field and responds to payroll inquiries and resolves discrepancies.
- Prepare responses to notices from government agencies regarding employee tax filings.
- Associate degree in accounting or related field.
- 5 years’ experience in payroll.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification.
- Familiarity with HRIS.
- Strong organization and mathematical skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills including Excel and Outlook.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Human Resources and/or Benefits experience.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish
Competitive base salary plus bonus