Senior Finance Manager – Government Contracts
The Sr. Finance Manager, Government Contracts is a key member of the Global Finance Team, manages 1 Sr. Finance Analyst, and is responsible for Government Contracts Accounting and Reporting. A strong team player, the owner of this role brings strong knowledge of Government Contracts accounting rules and regulations, business acumen, analytical power and a results and process improvement oriented mentality. Strong sense of integrity, good communication skills, great attention to detail and a proven ability to work cross functionally is a requirement.
- Ability to build and maintain financial models for government grant proposals.
- Uses advanced contracts and grants concepts to manage and guide others in complex award document terms and conditions.
- Performs financial results analysis to identify variations and trends that indicate possible exposures, assessing risk and managing compliance within The Company policies and government contracts rules and regulations.
- Defines and implements standard work processes for efficient and accurate government contracts management.
- Acts as liaison between The Company and the sponsoring agencies, working at a high level of independency to negotiate acceptable terms and conditions, answer questions and provide status reports.
- Analyzes problems, formulates options, and coordinates resolution of post award related issues.
- Works collaboratively with R&D project managers to ensure proper allocation of the Company resources, approving hires and purchase orders, enforcing accurate time-reporting and ensuring projects are progressing timely and on budget.
- Stays up to date on current Federal policies and procedures and assists in developing and training others in the organization.
- Recommends changes to department policies and practices as needed in order to assure compliance with government contract rules and regulations.
- Independently exercises sound judgment, identifies risks and responds accordingly.
- Prepares monthly budget vs. actual analysis on several dimensions of the projects (milestones, sub-projects deliverables, cost centers, headcount, materials, consulting, overhead and capex.
- Prepares timely and accurate annual budgets and monthly forecasts, with similar levels of detail as mentioned above, month-end close activities, management and corporate reports related to the projects.
- Provides monthly reports and meets with project team, R&D & finance organizations as well as sponsoring agencies, to review actual results analyze forecast variances, update forecasts, identify trends and provide recommendations to drive forecast execution and accuracy.
- Works closely with General Accounting to ensure proper coding of expenses and capital purchases.
- Leads the Company's efforts on any government audits, as well as internal audits and maintains relevant documentation to support audits Prepares/reviews allocation and accrual journal entries.
- Ensure proper coding of allowable vs. unallowable expenses.
- Identify cost savings and process improvement opportunities and drive implementation.
- Manage, coach and develop the Sr. Finance Analyst.
- Create and maintain an environment of personal accountability that encourages ownership of issues and excellence in service.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor's in Accounting, Finance, or related area required. CPA or MBA a plus.
- 5-10 years of related experience.
- Advanced working knowledge of contracts and grants transactions and applicable financial systems, as well as related policy, accounting and regulatory compliance requirements.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply sponsor, institutional and government policies.
- Advanced working knowledge of current compliance regulations in all areas of government contracts administration.
- Ability to independently manage high volume and complex transactions.
- Excellent/effective oral and written communication and presentation skills, including ability to interpret and construct complex legal language as well as persuasive correspondence to convey information in a clear, organized, and concise manner.
- Advanced knowledge and ability to perform review of complex funding solicitations including Requests for Proposals (RFPs).
- Strong knowledge of federal laws, regulations, and policies related to government project/contract administration.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of generally accepted accounting, fiscal and reporting principles.
- Goal/results oriented team player with demonstrated success working effectively across all levels within the organization
- Strong hands-on ERP, Data Warehouse and Consolidations & Reporting tool experience and business analysis (SAP, BPC, BW, Hyperion HFM experience preferred).
- Advanced knowledge of financial and accounting theory as well as financial and statistical modeling techniques.
- Experience managing and developing others, recognizes and develops talent – enjoys mentoring.
- Proven experience working with confidential or sensitive information.
- Results oriented – has track record for delivery results, takes ownership and is accountable.
- Stretch oriented – embraces and thrives on challenge.
- Continuous improvement oriented.
- Customer Service oriented – high sense of urgency
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, including fluency with Excel Pivot Tables, macros and function formulas.
- Strong managerial, planning, organization and project management skills.