Senior Financial Analyst
Reporting to the Associate Director, Finance, the Senior Financial Analyst shall primarily assist with the Company's research and development expense tracking including contract & invoice review and analysis, month end expense accrual accounting, and monthly variance analysis. The analyst shall also assist with the implementation of an accounting and a budgeting system and support ongoing enhancements to update the Company’s internal controls to meet SOX compliance requirements. This position will also provide support with budgeting and forecasting of research and development expenses and with special projects and ad hoc analysis as needed.
- Assist the Associate Director of Finance with research and development expense tracking and management including contract & invoice review and analysis, and monthly expense accruals accounting. Design and maintain accurate expense tracking spreadsheets for all material vendor contracts and ensure accruals are consistently estimated, well documented, and fully supported.
- Develop and maintain a strong business understanding of all research and development projects, including project timelines and current status, and become expert in the financial terms of key vendor contracts. Ensure the complete, accurate and timely billing of work completed under these contracts.
- Use understanding of project progress together with key vendor contracts, invoices, data and other relevant analysis to prepare monthly expense accruals and assist with monthly variance analysis. Support quarterly audit requests related to such research and development expenses and accruals.
- Assist in the preparation of research and development expense budgets and forecasts.
- Assist in implementation of the company’s new accounting and budgeting systems.
- Participate in development and maintenance of enhanced internal controls to ensure robust SOX compliance.
- Provide financial analysis support to research and development personnel as needed.
- Perform other ad hoc analysis and projects as assigned by the Associate Director and other Finance management as necessary.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Biotech industry experience including experience in clinical trial and drug development accruals is preferred.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance
- 5+ years of growing responsibility & experience in accounting / finance (public company experience is very desirable)
- CPA desirable
- Ability to work independently and multi-task under pressure; ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy, especially under the pressure of financial statement closes in a public company environment
- Strong computer system skills (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, accounting systems, budgeting systems, etc)
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills with excellent written and verbal skills