Our East Bay client is seeking a Tax Manager to join the Finance team in the East Bay. This is an opportunity for someone who wants to have an impact at a successful high growth cloud software company where ideas and contributions are valued. The candidate is someone who thrives in in a fast-paced, visible role who takes ownership of all things tax, and takes pride in producing a quality product. It is important that this individual has a strong technical understanding of US and international tax, and sales and VAT tax, as this individual will be the go-to tax person for the Company. The candidate needs to have solid project management skills, and experience working with outside tax firms, auditors, and consultants. The ability to anticipate and successfully manage to due dates is an important trait of the person in the Tax Manager role.
The successful candidate will possess:
- a strong understanding of tax accounting under ASC Topic 740, Income Taxes.
- experience with domestic and international income tax compliance and provisions
- experience with ASC 740-10 / formerly FIN 48, Accounting for Uncertain in Income Taxes.
- a solid understanding of tax regulations, US GAAP, and the ability to research and document technical issues.
- a strong analytical and problem-solving skill set, with the ability to read, analyze, interpret, and explain complex financial data.
- the ability to produce a consistent quality work product and to set an example for others in the department to do the same.
- a strong work ethic, and a meticulous attention to detail and accuracy, highly developed organizational and follow-through skills. The ability to project manage and to manage competing priorities.
- developed leadership, mentoring and team building skills, and excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to partner and interact effectively in a cross functional capacity.
- a willingness to take on additional responsibilities.
About the Position – The Tax Manager:
- reports to the Corporate Controller and will work with others in the Finance department and throughout the organization, as necessary.
- owns all aspects of domestic and international direct and indirect tax compliance.
- manages external tax accountants. Provide data required for the preparation of federal and state income tax returns and data for foreign income tax, VAT returns and other tax related statutory filings.
- Is responsible for the preparation of financial statement tax disclosures and memorandums for the company’s annual audit.
- drafts memoranda documenting tax issues and positions.
- monitors current and proposed US and foreign tax law changes to identify and assess impact on the organization. Identify tax planning opportunities and lead the implementation of resulting initiatives. Drive risk minimization strategies related to foreign and domestic tax positions,
- ensures completion of tax provisions for all international subsidiaries. Review the year-end corporate tax provision in accordance with ASC 740, Income Taxes.
- ensure all tax filing due dates are met and are maintained in the company’s tax compliance calendar.
- monitors legislative and regulatory tax law developments, communicate the effects of these developments to Finance leadership and develop resulting strategies that benefit the company.
- responds to all inquiries from tax agencies through resolution. Lead any tax audits that arise.
- identifies and implements process improvements resulting in scalable operational tax compliance procedures and systems.
- assists with other projects within the Finance department as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance is required. Master of Taxation degree is a plus.
- Minimum of six years relevant tax experience required, preferably with a Big 4 or a second tier CPA firm.
- CPA license and public accounting firm experience is a plus.
- Experience with typical business software applications including NetSuite and Avalara AvaTax and CertCapture.
- Experience in a tax department of a multi-national company is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to research and document complex technical tax questions